Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thursday Extracts: spoilt for choice

What do Hoagy Carmichael (1899),  Benjamin Britten (1913),  George Eliot - real name Mary Ann Evans (1819),  Robert Vaughn (1932) and Tom Conti (1941) have in common?

Those brackets  might give you a clue. Nov 22 is/was their birthday. So do I give you some George Eliot? A bit of Silas Marner, perhaps. If I could find it, I might quote some lines from Terence Frisby's play Rough Justice, which I saw earlier this year, starring Tom Conti.

But I decided to go with this. The lyrics aren't great - but the music is wonderful. (It's written by Hoagy Carmichael, of course.)

3 comments:

snafu said...

Happy birthday y'all. We went to see Rough Justice, it was brilliant. Unfortunately the attendance in our illiterate town was low and Tom Conti made a speech at the end of the performance to try and get us the audience and jury, to whip up a bit of support.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi AJ .. great list and reminder - Tom Conti was down here with Rough Justice ... but I hadn't realised it was on til too late - perhaps now I'll keep a better eye open.

Spoilt for choice .. lots to select ... I couldn't get the video to play - but suspect that's the wind and my poor connectivity ...

Cheers Hilary

JO said...

Oh I'll have to go and find Tom Conti now - he's got a voice to melt chocolate ...