Thursday, August 29, 2013

That feeling of isolation....


It is never completely silent inside a space suit; you can always hear the gentle hiss of oxygen, the faint whir of fans and motors, the susurration of your own breathing—even, if you listen carefully enough, the rhythmic thump that is the pounding of your heart. These sounds reverberate through the suit, unable to escape into the surrounding void; they are the unnoticed background of life in space, for you are aware of them only when they change.

From
The Haunted Space Suit
by Arthur C. Clarke
1958

*************
The guy was writing brilliant prose while I was still in nappies.

3 comments:

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Brilliant it is!
Anna :o]

snafu said...

Enough to give you kittens :)

Unknown said...

How true this is.
As I dove the Great Barrier Reef, I was amazed by what I saw but was even more amazed by the realization of my own life. To hear my breathing and heartbeat. To listen to the subtle changes as I noticed something new, was mind opening. For the first time in my life, I felt alive, yet so very vulnerable.